Wednesday, August 11, 2010

All It Takes

After everything I've gone through in the last 2 years (well really the last 25 years) all it takes is 4 small viles of blood. That's it.

I went in to Dr. Premier's office Monday morning for my DNA blood draw. I signed some papers, confirmed that the shipping box was 100% light-blocking, and had my blood taken. It might have been the easiest doctor's appointment I've had in a long, LONG time.

To be honest, as I have been the entire blog...even the embarrassing things, symptoms, and yes, pictures... the DNA testing is expensive. No, insurance does not cover it. No, I do not understand why nor has it been fully explained to me... but at this point, I don't care. I need this diagnosis.

Now, like so many times before, I wait for the results. It will take 2-3 weeks before I hear anything. In those weeks I'm praying that I'm in the 97% (DNA testing for Porphyria yields positive results for 97% of Porph patients). And really... I already have a disease that is highly unusual... what are the chances of being in the rare 3% of a rare disease? If I am, I'm totally buying a lottery ticket.


1 comment:

  1. I'm a little nervous for you because I almost feel like the doctor should have ordered a PCT DNA test too. Based on your porphyrin readings from a prior post it almost seems like that is a possibility as well. Your symptoms don't match up to PCT, but your results point towards it a little. I hope you get a diagnosis in the first round of DNA tests. I can't imagine how anxious you are to get those back and I can't wait to hear your results. :)

    ReplyDelete